CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dia de los Muertos-themed Painting



This is the latest painting I've been working on, called "In Limbo." I was in the mood to do something smaller, more simplistic and colorful than my other paintings. My last semester at school I did a series of huge paintings with outer space backgrounds like this one:



While doing those paintings was enjoyable, I just wanted to play around with something new. I've been fascinated with Mexican folk art and dia de los muertos imagery lately, so I decided to run with it. (I also made a dia de los muertos skull pillow not too long ago, shown here.)

Once I found the ovular canvas at the craft store, I knew I wanted to do an iconic-style portrait with a faux frame. I just didn't know of who or what, but then the idea to do another skull came to me. I had some fake gems lying around, so I added them to the eyes, hat flower, and frame as well. I think they really add a lot to the piece! I always like 3-D elements.

I suppose this is a mostly-decorative piece. If you want a "meaning" behind the piece (like they always wanted you to have in college art classes, which really just allowed me to develop better skills in BSing) I suppose it's about confronting one's mortality and whatnot. The Skullman is in limbo with REALITY, man. Skullman could be YOU, man. Skullman is your protypical Everyman, MAN.

(For more photos of this painting, check 'em out here.)

0 comments: